About Us


Frequently Asked Questions for Summit Education Initiative

Click on each question below to view its answer. The FAQs are divided into six categories, including General, Kindergarten Readiness, Third Grade Reading, Eighth Grade Math, Ninth Through 12th Grade, and College and Career Persistence. The last five categories are based on the key indicators along the Cradle to Career Continuum.


  • What does Summit Education Initiative do?

    Summit Education Initiative (SEI) is a nonprofit organization working to enhance the educational experiences of individuals and their families living in Summit County. Our staff develops and implements projects and presentations in schools, businesses and local organizations to help ensure every student graduates prepared, passionate and persistent.
  • What is Summit Education Initiative doing?

    For each initiative we develop, SEI staff follows the method below:
    1. Convene caring adults from educational, nonprofit, government and business entities
    2. Use data to identify specific issues that require attention
    3. Mobilize our five strategy teams to execute specific goals and tactics that addresses the issues
    4. Measure progress and success
    5. Report our findings
    6. Scale successful strategies across the country
    7. Repeat steps 1 – 6 as necessary until we meet our goals
  • How can I find your office?

    Summit Education Initiative's office is located at 120 E. Mill St., Akron, Ohio, 44308, in the former Quaker Square Shops building. We're on the third floor of the building in Suite 330. To find us, please enter the building on the east side through door 15, at the corner of Mill and Summit Streets. When you enter the door, you're on the second floor. To take the stairs, turn right and go to the third floor. Look for Suite 330 to the left, where you'll find signage with our logo by the door. To take the elevator from door 15, enter the large doorway straight ahead and to the right, then pass Zee's Market on your left, and keep walking until you see the elevator. Take it to the third floor. Our office is at Suite 330 (located to your right from the elevator), with signage with our logo by the door.
  • Where do I park when I visit your office?

    Parking at Quaker Square is free for the first two hours. We hope you'll stay, and if your visit is longer than two hours, we'll give you a parking pass. You may park in two areas. You could take your chances and try to get a close spot right behind our building on the south side of East Mill Street. The entrance to that lot is off East Mill Street. If you don't like to drive around for a parking spot, then we suggest you park where our staff parks in the large lot at the corner of East Mill and Summit Streets. Access this lot from Summit Street and cross East Mill Street to enter our building through door 15.

Kindergarten Readiness

  • What does kindergarten readiness mean?

    Kindergarten readiness refers to the level at which children should perform prior to entering kindergarten. This includes the “16 for SUCCESS” skills listed here. The Summit County Transition Skills Summary is a developmental report card that can be used to measure development on 47 different skills at the end of preschool. For more information, click here.
  • What should my child know before kindergarten?

    To be ready for success, your child should have the 16 skills listed on this card before kindergarten.
  • How old does my child need to be to register for preschool?

    Your child must be three years old by the time he or she enters preschool. For more eligibility guidelines, visit the Ohio Department of Education’s website here.
  • How old does my child need to be to register for kindergarten?

    A student must be age 5 to enter kindergarten; however, you may request early admission if your child turns 5 after your district’s entrance date and before Jan. 1. For more eligibility guidelines, visit the Ohio Department of Education’s website here.
  • How do I register my child for preschool and kindergarten?

    Call your local school to learn more about your preschool or kindergarten registration requirements.
  • Where do I go to find information about preschool and kindergarten registration?

    Visit Child Care Connection to find a local preschool or kindergarten that best fits the needs of your child.
  • Can I send my child to preschool for free? If so, where?

    Yes, there are many preschools in Summit County that offer reduced and free tuition. You can locate these preschools at the Child Care Connection website.
  • Are there all-day kindergarten schools available?

    Yes. Check the all-day kindergarten schools available in Summit County on the Ohio Department of Education’s website here.
  • My child is struggling to behave. Where can I go to find information to help?

    Child Guidance Family Solutions provides several behavioral health programs for children in Summit County.
  • Where do I go to get more information about vaccinations and other birth to five health needs?

    Summit County Public Health is a great resource for parents with young children. You may find information about vaccinations before, during and after pregnancy, as well as childhood vaccinations, here.

Third Grade Reading

  • How can I get free or discounted books for my child?

    Through the United Way of Summit County’s Imagination Library, preschool children receive free books! Visit here to register your child age birth to 5. Bright Star Books also provides free books to young children, as well as libraries in which your child may read new books.
  • What is the third grade reading guarantee?

    Ohio’s Third Grade Reading Guarantee is a program to identify students from kindergarten through third grade who are behind in reading. Schools will provide help and support to make sure students are on track for reading success by the end of third grade. You can find more information about the Third Grade Reading Guarantee here.
  • What happens if my child doesn’t pass the third grade reading guarantee?

    According to the Ohio Department of Education’s website, all students who score below the promotion score on Ohio’s Grade 3 ELA Test must be retained, except for certain students. To learn more about those exceptions, go to the “Retention in the Third Grade” section of the Ohio Third Grade Reading Guarantee Guidance Manual here.
  • How can I sign up to tutor a child in reading? How can I help?

    You may register to read to a child through Akron Reads.
  • How can I donate gently used and unwanted books?

    You may donate gently used and unwanted books to Bright Star Books. Visit their website here to learn more about how you can help.
  • My child struggles with reading. Where do I go to get help?

    Visit the library to check out books with your child, then read with him or her at home. The Akron-Summit County Public Library offers several reading programs for children throughout the year as well. Get your family involved with Summit County’s This City Reads! initiative, which emphasizes the importance of reading among all ages. Visit its website for more information on how you can get involved. Several of our out of school time partners offer reading programs to supplement the curriculums students experience in the classroom.
  • My child has a learning disability. How can I help him or her succeed?

    Visit the Ohio Department of Education’s website here, where you’ll find several resources for parents of children with learning disabilities at different levels of their education. Contact your school district’s special education coordinator. Scroll to the bottom of this page for a link to special education contacts at schools within most Ohio counties. Please note not all districts and community schools have staff in these roles.

Eighth Grade Math

  • Why is eighth grade math so important?

    Students who finish eighth grade with skills above the minimum standards are far more likely to be successful in high school and to graduate prepared for high-skilled careers and college. Learn more about the importance of eighth grade math in a student’s education on our website here.
  • My eighth grade child is struggling with math. Where can I go to get help?

    Contact your district using the Ohio Educational Directory Lists listed here. Ask your child’s teacher or principal for further help and resources. The Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics is also an excellent resource for eighth grade math assistance for your child. Summit Education Initiative piloted a Do the Math! program from February through April 2016. The program included four lessons, in which each featured a magazine with standardized math test problems to practice. You may view the magazines at the links below:

Ninth Through 12th Grade

  • What does it mean to be achieving at ninth grade?

    Visit the Ninth Grade Success page on our website here to learn more about what it takes to be successful in ninth grade. Contact your district and/or school to learn which specific requirements, if any, your child must achieve to be successful in ninth grade, based on his or her school.
  • What are the high school graduation requirements in Ohio?

    High school graduation requirements depend on your child’s year of graduation. To find the requirements that apply to your child, visit the Ohio Department of Education’s website here. (Every district is required by law to publish this information; it’s all available on the Ohio Department of Education’s website.)
  • What is College Credit Plus? What are post-secondary options available?

    Ohio’s College Credit Plus can help students earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking college courses from community colleges or universities. Its purpose is to promote rigorous academic pursuits and to provide a wide variety of options to college-ready students. More information about College Credit Plus participation and funding is located on the Ohio Department of Education’s website here. You may contact your child’s school to learn more about the post-secondary options available. The Ohio Department of Education’s website has more information about Post Secondary Enrollment Options here. (Every district is required by law to publish this information; it’s all available on the Ohio Department of Education’s website.)
  • When should my child start planning for post high school?

    Your child should begin planning for post high school as soon as possible. It doesn’t hurt to plan ahead; however, post high school planning should begin no later than your child’s junior year.
  • Is there a career interest survey my child can take?

    You may contact your child’s teacher to get access to the Youth View career interest survey Summit Education Initiative helped develop. You may register your child for an Ohio Means Jobs account to help discover the career path that best suits his or her interests.
  • What is “3.165?” Why is it important?

    “3.165” refers to the minimum GPA students should have upon completing their first year of high school (3.1) and the minimum number of cumulative credits students should have after ninth grade (6.5). Students who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.1 or higher will graduate prepared for career and college readiness at least 75 percent of the time. You may learn more about this concept here.
  • What is the FAFSA? How can I apply?

    The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Go to fafsa.gov to learn how to submit a FAFSA, find the submission deadlines for your child’s school and/or state and discover other financial aid tips for college-bound students.
  • What are my child’s school’s safety and bullying guidelines?

    Safer Schools Ohio is a great resource to visit for school safety and bullying guidelines. (Every district is required by law to publish this information; it’s all available on the Ohio Department of Education’s website.)
  • Which teen pregnancy services are available in Summit County?

    Greenleaf Family Center provides a Teenage Parent Program for pregnant and parenting teens and their babies. The Young Parents Club and the Teenage Parent Program School Support Groups also offer services for young parents and parents-to-be. You can read more details about these programs here.
  • Where can I go to get help for my child showing signs of youth risk behaviors?

    The County of Summit Alcohol, Drug Addiction & Mental (ADM) Health Services Board offers several services and resources for teens partaking in risk behaviors. Find more information on these services on its website here.
  • Where can I go to help my child earn a GED?

    Project Learn lists several resources for individuals seeking to earn a GED on its website here. Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s Diplomas 2 Degrees college readiness program provides a range of services to guide Club members as they work toward high school graduation and prepare for post-secondary education and career success. You may find contact information for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Western Reserve here for more details.

College and Career Persistence

  • Where can I find job opportunities?

    Ohio Means Jobs lists in-demand careers on its website, among other resources for career seekers. Check out the in-demand career listing here.
  • Where can I find job training opportunities and courses?

    Conexus is a great resource and partner of Summit Education Initiative that helps connect companies, residents and jobs in Summit County. Check out its training and education resources here.
  • What are reverse transcripts?

    A student who transfers from a community college to a four-year college before earning an associate's degree may wind up with nothing to show for their work at the community college. However, if the student earns credits at the four-year college, often times she or he may reach out to the community college and use previous earned credits, plus the new four-year college credits, to earn the associate's degree. Having this degree opens doors to more opportunities.
  • What are other higher education opportunities?

    The University of Akron, Kent State University, Stark State College and other local colleges and universities have many other higher education opportunities available. Non-traditional higher education opportunities include certification programs. Contact the admissions personnel at the college or university you would like to attend for more information on how to qualify and apply.
  • I stopped out of college, but I want to go back. Who should I contact?

    You may contact Phil Martucci, our College Attainment Team Strategy Leader, who will directly connect you to the local college or university you wish to attend. You may reach Phil at pmartucci@seisummit.org.